Burlington, West Virginia
Burlington is a census-designated place (CDP) in Mineral County, West Virginia located along U.S. Route 50 (also known as the Northwestern Turnpike) where it crosses Pattersons Creek. As of the 2010 census, its population was 182. It is part of the Cumberland, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area. The ZIP code for Burlington is 26710.
The Burlington Bay James N. Allan Skyway, originally called the Burlington Bay Skyway (and colloquially known as just the Burlington Skyway), is a pair of high-level freeway bridges located in Hamilton and Burlington, Ontario, Canada. The Skyway, as it is locally known, is part of the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway linking Fort Erie with Toronto.
Burlington is the home of the Old Fashioned Apple Harvest Festival (started in 1973), which has grown into the biggest celebration of its kind in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. It is held annually on the first weekend of October.
The official website lists the Festival of speed dates as the Friday to Sunday, but the weekend tickets for the Festival include a moving motor show ticket. So it's not strictly part of the Festival of Speed, but it is a part of the Festival of Speed weekend.
Burlington is situated along the old Northwestern Turnpike (US 50) in southeastern Mineral County, West Virginia. German and English settlers began to populate the area of Burlington in the second quarter of the 18th century following the surveying of Patterson Creek Manor by Thomas, Lord Fairfax in 1738.
The village took shape around the turn of the 19th century as several mills constructed along Mill Creek and Patterson Creek brought commerce to the region. The Burlington Post Office was established on September 24, 1827. (It was closed from 1844-1853 and from 1860-1867). The construction of the Northwestern Turnpike through Burlington in 1831 helped to further its development into a regional center for commerce.
Many of the houses admired for their architecture in the village today were constructed in the first half of the 19th century during this time of economic prosperity.
One of the oldest houses in Burlington, the Homestead, was built as a tavern to service the stage coach traffic which came through the village along the turnpike. Constructed by John and Ruth Ann Vandiver, the Homestead continued to serve as an inn and restaurant well into the mid-twentieth century.
Since Orange Lake is nearly 600 feet above sea level, its outlet stream (sometimes called Bushfield Creek) powered many varied mills as it wound its way to the Hudson River, including a saw mill, grist mill and coinage mill right at the outlet from the lake, all owned by Thomas Machin.
A flour mill stood where the stream now travels beneath Route 300. In a different part of town, the Gidney family operated a grist mill on Gidneytown Creek. Today, the site of the Gidney Mill is owned by the town, and the old brick chimney from the mill remains standing and is marked by an historic site marker.
The Animal Control center for the town is also located on this property. The old gunpowder mills in what is now Algonquin Park today serve as the focal point of the only historic district in the town. For many years, there was a bleachery owned by the Chadwick Family.